Steps to Take Now to Get a Jump on Next Year’s Taxes


Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, many taxpayers’ withholding went down in 2018, giving them more money in their paychecks. Some taxpayers may receive a smaller refund or even owe an unexpected tax bill when they file their 2018 tax return next year.

Take these actions:

Get ready for your refund

The new tax law may affect the refund you expect. Review Publication 5307, Tax Reform Basics for Individuals and Families for more information.

If you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February.

Renew your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If you use an ITIN to file, make sure it hasn’t expired. Visit for more information.

Get ready to file

The 2018 Form 1040 is a redesigned form and replaces Forms 1040A and 1040EZ.

If you file electronically, you will need your 2017 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to sign your return. If you’re using the same tax software you used last year, you will not need to enter your prior year information to electronically sign your 2018 tax return.

Take these actions:

Get help

Tax Reform
Learn about how the new law may affect your filing requirements.

Publication 5318, Tax Reform What’s New for Your Business

IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
If you earn $55,000 or less you may qualify for free tax help.

Taxpayer Assistance Centers
Visit us for a face-to-face help or call 844-545-5640 to make an appointment.

IRS Services Guide
A listing of IRS services.

Let us help you
Additional resources where you can get answers for various tax questions.