This interview will help you determine if your pension or annuity payment from an employer-sponsored retirement plan or nonqualified annuity is taxable. It doesn't address Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs).
Information You'll Need
- The type of retirement plan the distribution was made from (i.e. qualified retirement plan, nonqualified annuity). You may need to check with your employer or plan administrator.
- If you have a cost to recover in the qualified retirement plan or the amount of investment in the contract for a nonqualified annuity.
- If any portion of your investment in the nonqualified annuity contract was made before August 14, 1982.
- The amount of any previous distribution from your nonqualified annuity.
- Whether federal income tax was withheld from the distribution (Form 1099-R).
The tool is designed for taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International Taxpayers.
Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Estimated Completion Time: 15 minutes
Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.
Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.