Can I still use Free File?
Yes, you can! If you filed for an extension or you still need to e-file your 2018 federal return, you can use Free File to prepare and e-file your return for free.
IRS Free File is still available through October 15 at midnight ET to prepare and file returns electronically.
Welcome to Free File, where you can prepare and file your federal individual income tax return for free using tax-preparation-and-filing software.
Let Free File do the hard work for you with brand-name software or Free File Fillable Forms.
Choose a Free File option based on your income:
Income below $66,000
Free File Software
- File your taxes with free, easy to use software
- Free state return options are available
- Use the Free File Software Lookup Tool to find free federal and free state return options
Income above $66,000
Free File Fillable Forms
- Must know how to do your taxes yourself
- Does math; offers only basic guidance
- You must have your 2017 tax return
- State tax prep is not available